Privacy statement Open Science Retreat 2024
The Open Science Retreat 2024 organisation (OSR24NL) values the privacy of its website visitors. When we ask you for your personal details, we handle them with care. We always comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). You can read all about this in our privacy statement.
How do we handle your personal data?
- we clearly state for what purposes we are processing your personal data; we do this by means of this privacy statement;
- we ask for only the personal data that is needed for legitimate purposes;
- we keep your personal data very safe and also demand the same from the parties, which process your personal data on our behalf;
- you may view, correct or delete your personal data at any time.
Among other things, we have applied the following security measures to protect your personal data:
- We store your personal data offline;
- We use secure (HTTPS) connections to guarantee the security of data transfers; and
- We apply organizational and physical access controls.
Registration and feedback process
During our registration and feedback process, we may ask you to provide the following personal details:
- first name and surname (mandatory)
- e-mail address (mandatory)
- organisation for which you work
- dietary preferences
- Bank account number
- any other information you voluntarily provide
Why do we ask for this personal data?
We need your personal data in order to process your registration and payment (legal basis for processing: performance of an agreement). We will also use this data to send you necessary information about the Retreat, including a Save the Date email about a possible next edition of the Retreat. In addition, we can carry out (statistical) research using the information provided in order to improve our services (legal basis for processing: legitimate interest of the OSR24NL).
Where do we process your personal data?
OSR24NL processes your personal data in countries based within the European Economic Area (EEA).
How long do we store your data?
OSR24NL may use the data that you have provided to us for your registration for research purposes up to 18 months after the event at the latest. This research is aimed at improving the events that we offer to the target group. For the purpose of this research OSR24NL pseudonymises the data so that it can no longer be directly traced back to individuals, by removing your name and e-mail address. After 18 months your personal details will be completely anonymized, so that they are no longer traceable, either directly or indirectly. OSR24NL will then only be able to use the anonymized data for statistical research purposes.
Images of events
During OSR24NL may take photos and record videos and/or vlogs. We may use these atmospheric images on Mastodon, websites, newsletters or mailings from OSR24NL or its partners about the event in question. We may also retain a small and carefully selected part of the visual material in an archive for the purpose of historical awareness.
Why do we ask for these personal details?
We process these images on the basis of the legitimate interest of OSR24NL. OSR24NL has an interest in recording visual material of its events to raise awareness for the event and later editions of the event.
You may indicate that you would rather not be visible in the images. OSR24NL always takes the privacy of its visitors into account and carefully assesses the visual material to be used in publicity for the event.
How long do we retain these personal details?
In principle, OSR24NL does not store visual material for longer than 5 years after the event. After 5 years at the latest, the visual material is permanently deleted.
In exceptional cases, OSR24NL may retain a small and carefully selected part of the visual material for a longer period of time for the purpose of historical awareness. This visual material can be used later, such as for an anniversary. To the extent possible, we select visual material in which visitors are not clearly visible.
OSR24NL may ask visitors whether they wish to participate in an interview (legal basis for processing: consent). The interview will be made into a video, which OSR24NL may use for public relations purposes (for example by publishing the video on the website or incorporating it in a review video).
How long do we retain these personal details?
If you agree to processing of the interview, we do not retain the video of the interview for longer than 5 years after the event in question.
Contact by e-mail
If you contact us by e-mail for questions or support, OSR24NL may process the following personal details you provide:
- e-mail address
- any other personal data you send us by e-mail
What rights do you have in relation to your data?
We process your personal data and you can therefore decide what is done with them. To do so, you can contact OSR24NL; see the contact personal details at the foot of this page.
What exactly can you do with the data provided to us?
- You may request to see your data that we are processing.
- You may ask us to amend your data, to complete them, or to remove them if they are incorrect or not (no longer) relevant.
- You may ask us to restrict the processing of your data.
- You may request a digital copy of your data that we process and you have the right to transfer these data to a different service provider.
- You may withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data, for example by unsubscribing from a newsletter. Note: the processing of your personal data before you withdrew your consent remains legal.
- You may object to processing that is based upon legitimate interest of OSR24NL or of a third party. To do so you can contact us, see the contact details at the foot of this page.
- You may file a complaint if you believe that OSR24NL is not handling your personal data correctly. If you and OSR24NL are unable to resolve the issue, then you can submit a complaint about OSR24NL to the Personal Data Authority.
This privacy statement does not apply to third-party websites to which we have links on (one of) our website(s). OSR24NL is unable to guarantee that these third parties will handle your data in a trustworthy or secure manner. We recommend that you read the privacy statement(s) on those websites before you make use of such websites.
Amendments to privacy statement
OSR24NL may amend this privacy statement. We therefore recommend that you review this privacy statement regularly.
You can contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org
This privacy statement was last revised on September 13th 2023.